University Hospitals


Introduction


Building of the first Clinical Hospital at Saint Barbara's Church       Kraków university hospitals trace their beginning to the University reforms implemented by Hugo Kołłątaj, as ordered by the Commission of National Education at the end of the 18th century. In 1776, Professor Andrzej Badurski, a graduate of the Academy of Bologna and the main reformer of the Faculty of Medicine, petitioned the Commission to establish a clinic. Two years later, Kołłątaj, together with Badurski, began to set up a research hospi­tal at the Faculty of Medicine. On January 7, 1780, the first clinic in Poland was established in the post-Jesuit quarters of St. Barbara's Church. It was aptly named the St. Barbara Academic Hospital and Professor Badurski was appointed its first director.
A few years later, on April 8, 1788, primate Michał Poniatowski joined together the Academic Hospital, Sisters of Mercy Hospital, part of the Holy Ghost Hospital, St. Sebastian Hospital, and St. Roch Hospital, forming the St. Lazarus General Hospital. The hospital began to occupy post-monastic buildings located on then Wesoła, present­ly ul. Kopernika (Kopernika Street).
       In its more than two-century history, the Hospital has undergone numerous changes, gradually expanding its structure, range of diagnostic-therapeutic services, and sci­entific-educational activity. The present form of the four research hospitals is partly the result of changes intro­duced in Poland in the 1990s concerning the organization and management of healthcare institutions.
       These healthcare reforms, implemented on January 1, 1999, transformed research hospitals throughout Poland into autonomous legal entities, serving the general public as health service providers. The names of these institutions were also changed into the University Hospital, Children's University Hospital, Orthopedic-Rehabilitation University Hospital, and University Dental Clinic.
       As stipulated in statutes of the University and individual hospitals, the Medical College carries out part of its duties at these institutions. These include both pre- and post­graduate clinical training and scientific research. The uni­versity research hospitals share their research, didactic, and therapeutic function with the Medical College. Patients not only receive care and treatment, but also offer a valuable service in helping educate future medical per­sonnel.
       In October 2001, the university hospitals were incorporat­ed into the structure of the University. Presently, the sen­ate of a given school, as opposed to the Minister of Health, serves as the hospital's governing body. This provides greater autonomy and allows for undertaking quick, short-term, and strategic actions in the sphere of each research hospital's functioning. The main source of income of each hospital remains unchanged and comes from agreements signed with the National Health Fund to provide medical services to the general public.

The University Hospital

www.su.krakow.pl


       The University Hospital, with its 200 year history deeply embedded in the memory of generations of Kraków and Polish residents, is today one of the best medical centers in the country. It is not only the oldest, but also the biggest health care institution in Poland.
The hospital houses research units of the Faculty of Medicine. Academic teachers from the University, who simultaneously work in the University Hospital as physicians, carry out research, conduct classes, and treat patients from the whole of Poland. In this way, they help achieve the goals of the university and hospital, as outlined in their respective statutes.
       The hospital plays a significant role in the south and south-east regions of Poland. Located in the center of Kraków, it covers an area of 19ha, employs over 3700 personnel, and has approxi­mately 1300 beds.
       The hospital annually treats more than 60 000 patients and over 350 000 consultations take place in the Hospital's out­patient clinics. The hospital, with its 28 departments, 8 research units, and numerous clinics, offers patients highly specialized medical services, including full laboratory and imaging diagnostics.
       As a multi-profile facility, it offers medical services in the fields of nephrology, cardiology, general and oncological surgery, gynecology and obstetrics, neonatology, otorhinolaryngology, pulmonology, immunology and allergies, internal medicine and geriatrics, urology, gastroenterology, infectious diseases, neu­rology, oncology, radiology, psychiatry, and clinical biochem­istry. The highly specialized Departments of Hematology, Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Metabolic Diseases and Endocrinology, and Oncological Ophthalmology, play an exceptional role in the work of the hospital.
       The University Hospital oftentimes receives patients in critical condition. These patients are provided with specialist diagnos­tics and the highest quality medical care. Patients may rely on the knowledge, experience, and professionalism of the many outstanding physicians, nurses, and diagnosticians. As the University Hospital doubles as a didactic base for the University, many of the personnel also serve as academic teachers. Each year, hundreds of future doctors and representatives from other medical professions receive their education here.
       In the separate research units, vital investments and renova­tions are carried out thanks to financial support from the European Union, Ministry of Health, Social Committee for the Renovation of Kraków Historical Monuments (Społeczny Komitet Odnowy Zabytków Krakowa), and Jagiellonian University. The idea of building a new headquarters for the University Hospital arose out of necessity, as its historical base remains in urgent need of renovation.

Children's University Hospital

www.szpitalzdrowia.pl


       The Children's University Hospital is a successor of the first pediatric department in Poland, established at St. Lazarus General Hospital in 1864. The idea of building this hospital was initiated by the Polish-American community and further financed thanks to financial support from the American gov­ernment. The opening ceremony took place in 1965. The Institute, for years known as the Polish-American Institute of Pediatrics, was the chief pediatric hospital for the then Academy of Medicine. It continues to serve this role, now as a part of the Jagiellonian University Medical College. The Hospital possesses 590 beds and is an important education­al and research center, closely cooperating with leading pedi­atric hospitals from all over the world. Thanks to further sup­port from the American Government, a new laboratory wing was opened in 1974 and a Rehabilitation Centre with 240 beds was opened in 1987.
       The American government established Project HOPE in 1974, after the American Research Hospital committee, which played a significant role in building the Hospital and in its inceptive development, was disbanded. This foundation allo­cated funds for the further development of the hospital and financed an international exchange of specialist physicians. For many years, thanks to Project HOPE, the hospital was provided with invaluable medical equipment, journals, and textbooks. The foundation also played an important role in organizing over 80 courses and postgraduate conferences for physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professional from all parts of Poland. In the late 1990s, Project HOPE gradually ended their support for the Children's University Hospital.
       Action Bureau (Biuro Akcji Odnowy). Numerous charity events were organized in collaboration with charitable foun­dations and thanks to generous sponsors. This lead to the opening of a Children's Burn Centre, Neonatology and Newborn Intensive Care Unit, and Dietary Treatment Unit.
       The Children's University Hospital attends to children from the Małopolska and adjacent voivodeships. The hospital includes such units as Newborn Intensive Care, Endocrinology of Children and Young Adults, Children's Nephrology, Clinical Genetics, and Kidney Dialysis. Pediatric surgery includes the General Surgery Unit and extends into such specialty units as orthopedics, traumatology, neuro-surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, burn surgery, pediatric urology, and cardiosurgery.
       Nutrition, Children's Cardiosurgery, Children's Neurology, and a haemopoietic cell Transplant Center. Children with laryngological, ophthalmological, and dermatological com­plaints are also diagnosed and treated at the hospital.
       Each year, the hospital treats 28 000 children, provides 160 000 out-patient consultations, and performs 5600 surgi­cal procedures, including 365 open-heart surgeries. The didactic activity of the hospital includes courses in pediatrics for nearly 1400 students and postgraduate training for physicians.

Orthopedic-Rehabilitation University Hospital

www.klinika.net.pl


       The Orthopedic-Rehabilitation University Hospital in Zakopane traces its beginnings back to 1915, when then Cardinal Adam Stefan Sapiecha established the Cracovian Episcopal Committee to Help Victims of World War I {Krakowski Biskupi Komitet Pomocy dla Dotkniętych Klęską I Wojny Światowej). The objec­tive of this undertaking was to build a modern hospital, specifi­cally a sanatorium for children afflicted with tuberculosis. Construction of the hospital was completed in 1931, with help from the entire Polish society. However, medical services were already being offered as early as 1919. From its beginnings, the hospital conducted close factual and scientific cooperation with the Faculty of Medicine and with the later Academy of Medicine in Kraków. In 1997, the Senate of Jagiellonian University decid­ed that the hospital, already property of the University, should officially become a part of the University as the Chair of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation of Children and Young Adults. From 1997, the hospital serves as the seat of the Department of Orthopedics and Clinic of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the Jagiellonian University Medical College.
       At present, the Hospital offers a full range of orthopedic treatment options to patients of all ages. It is one of the best orthopedic centers in Poland, renowned in particular for spinal column surgery. Its main clinical and research interests include congenital and acquired defects and other conditions of the spinal column, joint surgery, and pediatric orthope­dics. Nearly 2000 surgeries are carried out yearly in the Hospital, some unique on a national scale. A full range of joint alloplastics, including revision surgeries and arthroscopy, are also performed. Bone lengthening proce­dures employ the Iliazar method. The Hospital possesses an extensive diagnostic base. One of Poland's most modern operating blocks was opened here in 2006, followed one year later by a rehabilitation complex and schools located near Clinic. Extensive redevelopment and modernization of the wards was completed in 2008. Didactic activities includ­ing teaching students of the Faculty of Medicine and carry­ing out postgraduate training in Orthopedics and Traumatology, which attracts young physicians from all over Poland.

University Dental Clinic

www.uks.com.pl


       The present University Dental Clinic carries on a tradition established by the University Dental Department, founded in 1897, which was then located at the Medical College's Clinic of Surgery, managed by Professor Ludwik Rydygier.
       The University Dental Clinic is the fourth univer­sity research hospital in Krakow. It was formed by the Minister of Health following reorganiza­tion of the healthcare system in 1999. It is com­prised of dental clinics, previously belonging to the National Research Hospital, located in the chairs and departments of the Medical College.
       Currently, the University Dental Clinic includes specialist units in Conservative Dentistry and Endodentistry, Prosthodontics with Implantoprosthodontic, Chewing Apparatus Disorders, and Postsurgical Prosthodontics clinics. Its other clinics include Dental Surgery, Orthodontics, Orthodontics and Cleft Palate, Gum and Oral Mucosa Disorders, Pediatric Dentistry, and Central Dental Clinic.
       Since September 2000, the University Dental Clinic is located at its new facility on ul. Montelupich (Montelupich Street), property of the Jagiellonian University Medical College. The renovation, development, and adaptation of the new chair was financed by the Ministry of Health, and Faculty of Medicine. All equipment and facilities are up to 21st century standards. The main objective of the University Dental Clinic, as a university unit, is to provide specialist dental services, combined with didactics and research.